Creating Reports People ACTUALLY Want to Read
How to structure a better report, write better issues, and demonstrate best practices. CPE: 2.0
Your report is boring and no one wants to read it!
Internal auditors spend weeks performing an audit, but in the end, others only see the audit report. It is time to rethink the format you have been using.
Are you including meaningful content, visuals, and an overall theme? The last thing we want to hear is that the report was boring. In this presentation, we will tear apart common report templates and make these better!
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Structure a Better Report
- Structure a report people want to read
- Decide how much detail to share in the report
- Grab and hold management’s attention using visuals and summaries
- Order findings for maximum impact
- Include a report conclusion that focuses on an overall theme
- Write Better Issues
- Write convincing issue statements that highlight risks to the organization
- Incorporate root cause analysis to deepen audit’s value as a partner
- Include language to diffuse tension
- Demonstrate Best Practices
- Consider modernizing your results communication
- Challenge the need for a formal report
CPE Hours: 2.0
Field of Study: Auditing
Prerequisites: Basic knowledge of internal audit report writing.
Who Should Attend: This session is designed for all internal auditors.
Advanced Preparation: None
Program Level: BasicDelivery Method: Self Study
Toby DeRoche is a Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) who holds an MBA with an Internal Audit specialization from Louisiana State University. He is also certified in Control Self-Assessment (CCSA), Risk Management Assurance (CRMA), Internal Control (CICA), Fraud Examination (CFE), and he is a SAFe 5 Agilist (SA).
His professional background includes identification and documentation of weaknesses that result in heightened business risk, while recommending solutions to such situations. Toby began his career in internal audit with Macy's Inc. He then worked as an implementation and training consultant for Wolters Kluwer. As a Solution Consulting Manager at Wolters Kluwer, Toby works with organizations that are looking for software solutions to their audit, risk and compliance needs. Throughout his career, Toby has assisted numerous internal audit departments create, perform, and supervise financial, operational, and compliance audits to evaluate control frameworks, financial systems and operating procedures.
Toby is also an experienced author and presenter, having delivered over 50 continuing education presentations to audit, risk, and fraud professionals.